Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Response To 'State of the Union'

This is not the Republican response, this is not the independent response. This is just a common sense response. I have to be honest, I only watched about 15 minutes total of the speech because my wife had the power and was only turning to it during commercials of another program. Never the less, I don't think I could have watched any more that 15 minutes of it anyway because of my lack in intestinal fortitude.

I know some people love to hear President Obama talk, they love his articulation, his cadence. All his speeches sound the same to me. From the first day of his candidacy to now, they are all generalities and platitudes. I will give him this, what he is saying sounds great. Stuff like "jobs are priority number one", "We need to come together to solve these problems", and "I never said change would be easy, but we will get there." This is stuff that anyone would agree with, the feel good platitudes have got to stop. The problem is, when he does get specific, he ends up lying or not being able to deliver. Gitmo, health care, national deficit reduction, transparency, lobbyist, all of which he has either not hit the deadline or has flat out lied about. The bottom line for this speech, take a strong stance on something and follow through with it, please. Please, give me a politician on either side that will say what they believe without apologizing for it, then follow through when in power.

2 comments:

Duncan said...

Quentin, you have inspired me to start yet another political blog...you can find it here... http://inthespiritofresistance.blogspot.com/ .

Now about the SOU address. What was there not to like? The President wants to see the United States take the lead. It sounded good.

SOU's have to have substance. They're "feel good" speeches. Well...except for Gerald Ford's. And even when the American people were calling for Nixon's head on a plate, he reassured those same masses that he wouldn't quit. I can only think of one SOU promise that was ever fulfilled...at least in my life time; Kennedy's promise to put a man on the moon before the decade was out. But let's face it, his assassination certainly inspired congress to pump more funds into NASA. I'm going to write about Obama's decision to scrap a return to the moon. Feel free to weigh in.

Oh...and about loving to hear Obama talk. Well let me put it to you this way. Do you remember the speech he gave to the Democratic Convention during Kerry's run? This is no lie. After I heard that speech, I turned to my wife and said "He'll be president in four years". Americans have always held political rhetoric and oratorical abilities in high regard. We have done so since the inception of our nation. Interesting enough, besides Bush, there were a few American Presidents who sucked at public speaking...ironically Jefferson was one of them. During his presidency, Jefferson avoided public speaking as much as possible and never gave an SOU address, preferring to WRITE congress about the state of the union instead.There is nothing in the Constitution that suggested that he couldn't.

qhunt said...

Rocky, Well said. one more president that hated speaking was Calvin Coolidge. The dude never talked but it was different times then. I will definately read your blog.
I am starting to ask myself the question, will there ever be another straight shooter politian?